Enabling the Virtual Field Office – Part 1: Taking Your Morning “Power Hour” Remote
In the wake of the public health crisis that’s changing the world faster than anyone could have expected, we at OspreyData want to do everything we can to help our customers respond and maintain steady progress. Companies are already implementing rotational work schedules & limiting personnel in the office to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19 and maintain a healthy workforce.
Enabling remote practices that not only allow collaboration but encourage it has been top of mind for OspreyData. We’re asking ourselves how lease operators, production engineers, and the control center can work together seamlessly – and now virtually – to manage and optimize the full field.
Firstly, we want to examine the daily morning “Power Hour” that many teams have. With fewer people reporting in to review wells, production reports, or to-do lists each morning, how can teams still power their day effectively?
We’d like to suggest 3 ways teams can have a successful virtual “Power Hour” each day:
- Operators & Engineers should use a shared tool to review well issues efficiently each morning.
- Being able to collaborate using the same web-based tool is imperative for virtual teams now working via video chat or phone. For example, our Production Unified Monitoring brings every well under a ‘single pane of glass’ so that your reviews can happen quickly in one system.
- Leverage exception-based management where possible. A solution like OspreyData’s Production Analytics surfaces potential high-risk events to engineers via an intuitive dashboard. When problematic events pop up, your team can quickly access all needed information to mitigate them.
- Spend less time looking for problems. Use a shared dashboard that provides metrics on well performance, event history, workovers, procedures and tasks, and drill down as needed to find details that matter.
- Maintain a centralized “data backbone” that team members can share.
- Create a “single source of truth” with your well data so operators and engineers view the same information and have a complete holistic view of the field. Data is often held in disparate silos that can be a huge challenge to access when working remotely.
- Waste less time switching between screens & systems. Our Production Unified Monitoring solution enables E&P companies to ingest data from any SCADA or data source and monitor it through a web-based browser while at home, the office, or in the field.
- Maintain a socially connected work environment by using video conferencing tools such as Zoom, GoTo Meeting, or Slack.
- The success of any company hinges on the ability of teams to work together, communicate and collaborate to solve challenging problems and create new ideas. Utilizing video over phone calls facilitates groupthink and quick problem-solving.
- We spend a third of our day, if not more, at work. Colleagues oftentimes become lifelong friends. Water cooler conversations may be a thing of the past, but let’s not lose sight of the importance social interaction has on our well-being. Schedule periodic video check-ins with your colleagues to keep spirits and humor up each morning.
Do you plan to implement these steps in your morning power hour? What’s working or not working for your team as you take things virtual? Leave us your thoughts in the comments!
Reach out to us to discuss ideas or learn more about OspreyData’s Production Intelligence solutions suite. You can implement our solutions on a grouping of wells to start or begin with your entire field.